After a great 10K at the Runner’s World Half & Festival yesterday, I knew I needed to fuel up for my 15 mile training run today. My initial intent was to make a tortilla pizza. I ran across the street to pick up veggies and ground turkey, came home, and my two remaining sprouted grain tortillas had sprouted something fuzzy. I refused to go to Whole Foods for a third time today (you have to draw your limits somewhere, right?), so I decided I’d make pasta. And got creative. Voila!
Pumpkin Primavera with Veggies & Turkey
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time:35 minutes
Serves 2 as a meal
1 cup whole wheat pasta
1 cup broccoli flowerets, cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup cauliflower flowerets, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup red pepper, diced
1/4 cup onion diced
10 asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cit into 1 inch pieces
1/2 lb ground lean turkey breast
1 cup pasta sauce with lots of vegetables
2/3 cup pumpkin purée
1/2 cup mozzarella style rice shreds (or mozzarella)
4 tbsp Pecorino Romano
1) Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread cut veggies out, and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put veggies into the oven, until brown.
2) Heat water with salt until boiling add pasta and cook until al dente.
3) Brown ground turkey with salt & pepper. Add pasta sauce and pumpkin to pan. Stir until sauce thickens.
4) Add pasta with a small amount of the pasta water into the sauce pan.
5) When veggies are browned, remove from oven and add to sauce pan. Add mozzarella cheese and stir until well mixed.
6) Dish out into bowls, sprinkle Pecorino Romano on top, and enjoy!