I’ve changed a lot in the last 8 months, but looking back 10 years, I’m not sure I could be more different now than I was then. As I’ve mentioned a few times in the last couple of weeks, I’m headed to my 10 year college reunion tomorrow, and I’m more excited about it than I’ve been about anything not running related in a long time. Three on Thursday this week is dedicated to this wonderful occasion.
Things that make me Happy
– Good friends who although I haven’t seen in 10 years, feel like I’m closer to now than I was back then.
– Being asked to be on a career panel by my favorite professor from undergrad, and the panel includes a lawyer who’s a regular on the Nancy Grace show, an executive from Twitter, and the woman who taught the class that eventually led me to the career I’m in today. I’m feeling pretty awesome, although I have no idea how to explain what I do.
– I got my life in order this weekend. Lots of laundry, food prep, and put stuff away that had been sitting around.
Areas of Focus
– Eating as healthy as I can while also enjoying myself. I’m headed to BBQ country, with a party at a bar with more than 200 beers on tap (which really isn’t an issue, I hate beer), and a good possibility of staying up well beyond midnight. I’ve been going to bed at 9:30 and getting up at 4:45, this will not be ideal.
– Sticking with my planned run of 8-10 miles. Next weekend I’m off to Scottsdale to run the Women’s Running Series Half Marathon with Nicole from Cookies on the Run (and by with, I mean well behind her), I have to keep my mileage where it needs to be.
– Remembering who I am now, not who I used to be. I’ve come a long way, but its easy to slip back into old ways of thinking.
– I’ve had several days of getting in my workouts before dawn (the last 2 have been nuts and I’m convinced weren’t even actually days, they were nightmares). Things are busy for me between work, travel, and fun and mornings are my only options. It’s tough to get out of bed, but once I’m out there, and my face starts to steam as I stride along the river, I remember why I do it. Because I love it.
– I’m pretty confident that while we didn’t win any extra medals, Karen and I won most photogenic at the Runner’s World Festival 10K. Several photographers along the route commented on the great shots they got, and our outfits got a ton of compliments. Again 😊
– I’ve been paying more attention to what I eat. If I’m craving something, I think about what’s driving it, and how I can meet that need in a healthy way. Like my Turkey Burger Salad & Sweet Potato Fries. I’d been wanting a good burger for months, but didn’t want to go get an unhealthy one, so I finally decided to make one that would match what I was craving. I was beyond happy with how it turned out, and now instead of craving a burger, I just want that meal, all the time.
What are your happy thoughs, areas of focus, or accomplishments this week?
Did you go to any of your big HS or College reunions?
If Karen and I are race models, what would you be known for on race courses?