I had not realized it would all work out so my 33rd birthday would fall on Thursday. But it did, and it’s awesome. This one might be a little longer than usual, sorry.
My birthday party 20 years ago! I cannot believe it’s been that long since I first became a teenager.
Things that make me Happy
– My independence. My parents raised me to be comfortable being by myself, to fend for myself, and most of all, to know that I am the only person who will ever make my dreams come true.
My dream was once to dance on Broadway, but I liked having a life, so I found other hobbies.
– The number of amazing birthday parties I’ve had in my life. A kid who’s birthday is on Halloween and whose parents are teachers, meant everyone came over after school, we had pizza, cake and ice cream, then ran around town filling sacks with candy. By high school, my birthday was usually post-football games, and in college, we party hopped, being serenaded by fraternity boys. I haven’t had a party in 6 years, and I’m just thankful I don’t have to make my own cake this year.
– I’m healthier now than I’ve been in a long time. My asthma is basically gone, I eat healthy, I run and exercise regularly, and my wellness exams all came back with great results.
Things to focus on
– I’m not doing a great job of trying to make friends here. After work I’m tired and just want to relax, but that doesn’t help me to meet people. So I need to get back to trying new things and being active, but not just by myself.
– Getting my home finished and in order. I feel like it’s always a mess so I focus on cleaning and organizing not putting up art and pictures or figuring out what to do with my extra couch.
– Making some 5 year plans. I used to have one, and then things just kept working to my advantage, and I need to get my planning back in order.
– I had the most amazing weekend with old friends at my 10 year reunion. It was as if 10 years had not gone by, but instead it was just summer or winter break. We had a blast, and while I might have had a bit more wine than I’ve had in one day in a while, it was totally worth it.
This is the bell tower at my college. It’s famous, and adds to its Hogwarts-looking campus.
– I’ve been a badass at work this week. I’m kicking ass and taking names. It’s kind of exciting to know when you’re tested with something, you can make it happen.
– I’ve moderately kept my apartment organized. It’s a start. Baby steps.
This year is a very strange birthday for me. For the first time in 5 years I haven’t had an other half to celebrate with, nor do I have a group of friends to go out with after work. I’m not close with my family (that’s an entirely different post) so if I get more than a text message, I’ll be surprised. I’m excited, however, to have had my birthday surrounded by two amazing weekends. One with old friends, and one with new ones. I’m beyond excited to spend the weekend with the Cookies and be part of Nicole running her first half.
What’s your favorite Halloween costume of all time?
Favorite Halloween candy?
Do you have a favorite birthday memory?