A couple of months ago, some of the executives at work were harassing me about my running. I keep a race countdown on my office whiteboard, whenever they asked what I was doing that weekend my answer was either running or racing.
I’ve been pretty open on here that while I’ve run for about 5 years, last year I learned to love it. It became part of me; its part of of how I define myself. Part of what drove me to that point last year was a combination of massive changes in my personal life.
So when one of them jokingly asked what I was running from, it got me thinking. What am I running from?
– I’m running from being a slightly overweight kid to a very overweight young adult, to a borderline overweight runner.
– I’m running from being scared that I took big risks with my life last year, and I’m still not sure they were right.
– I’m running because if I run, I’m not just sitting at home.
– I’m running because when I run, I’m happy.
– I’m running because I’ve found a community with friends (both in person and through social media/blogs) who turn to running for their own reasons.
– Most of all, I run because running is a way to test my body, improve my health, and cleanse my soul.
So what if I’m running from something, I’m running. And isn’t that all that matters?
What are you running from?
How would you have responded?
How do you describe your relationship with running?